May 24, 2019
With travel plans overhauled when Lana was suddenly injured,
both Bryce and Lana also have chronic health conditions. They will
tell how they prepared for an ambitious nomadic year away, and how
they adapted to 'worst case scenario' situations. Hear about their
trip from Saskatchewan to Newfoundland, to England, France,
Toronto, then Thailand, Bali, Burma, and Malaysia. Although travels
strayed from the original plans, their relationship with one
another, and unexpected time spent with family and friends is the
For show notes and more, visit www.libbyj.ca
- Lana had lived and worked with Karen
people(refugees from the Kayin
Statein Myanmar (Burma)) both in Thailand as a volunteer 20
years ago and more recently in Saskatoon as an EAL Teacher.
- While travelling with insulin, Lana used FRIO(a light and compact cooling device
that she could use in her backpack) “Truly a life-changer.”
- Sites including Booking.com;
workaway.com; airbnb.comand the discussion boards on
incredibly useful resources.
- To get around, try GoCar in Asia (like Uber) and Blablacar in
- Lana and Bryce did volunteer/culture exchange Workawayin France and
- Lana mentions seeing -but unsuccessfully being photographed
with- “platform 9 ¾” from the Harry Potter series in London!
- The hardest thing was to leave pets for a year with their
families. “We really felt the difference. We held them even closer
since we've been back.”
- Loved flying with Turkish air!